Conformis Launches iUni® G2 Next Generation Platform for the Only Patient-Specific Unicompartmental Knee Replacement
Burlington, Mass. – December 14, 2009
Surgeon Feedback and Advanced Engineering Combine to Create a Wear Optimized Implant with an Even Easier Surgical Technique
- Conformis, Inc. is taking the next step in the evolution of patient-specific technology by launching a new iteration of its unicompartmental knee resurfacing device, the iUni G2.
- Enhancements to the iUni G2 include an improved, patient specific and wear optimized design, instrument changes for even simpler surgical techniques, and iView™ patient-specific images for improved surgical planning.
- Conformis’ partial knee resurfacing systems use proprietary technology and patient-specific imaging data to personalize an implant and instrumentation set for each patient, providing superior fit and performance.
- Conformis introduced the iUni G2 in November 2009, and it is currently available for both medial and lateral compartment treatment.
- Dr. Terry Clyburn and Dr. Brian Parsley performed the first iUni G2 surgery during a live broadcast from Foundation Surgical Hospital in Bellaire, Texas. The surgery is currently available for viewing.
The iUni G2 Advantages:
Conformis’ patient-specific approach offers an array of advantages to patients, surgeons and hospitals. These benefits include:
- Patient-specific fit and wear optimized design: The iUni G2 offers patient-specific, anatomic fit for natural kinematics, full coverage of all weight bearing areas and a new implant designed for low contact stress and micro-motion.
- Minimally invasive and minimally traumatic procedure: Patients benefit from a resurfacing solution with minimal bone resection, preservation of all ligaments, no intramedullary canal penetration, and the ability for a simple conversion to a primary total knee arthroplasty.
- Simple and reproducible surgical technique: Conformis’ iUni G2 surgery uses iJig® patient-specific instrumentation to reduce the number of surgical steps and to minimize intra-operative sizing and trials. In addition, the new iView™ patient-specific planning images introduce an entirely new and simple way to visualize joint preparation during surgery.
- Operating room efficiencies: The iUni G2 provides an assortment of efficiency benefits to surgeons and hospitals, including simplified set-up and tear down, minimal instrumentation for the surgery, complete system delivery in a disposable kit and reduced sterilization and inventory costs.
Philipp Lang, MD, CEO of Conformis: “The iUni G2 system was designed with surgeon feedback over the last 18 months. We believe the technology is a meaningful advance not just in the implant characteristics, but also in the experience that surgeons will have in the operating room. It’s the next evolution in the Conformis patient-specific experience.”
Dr. Terry Clyburn, MD: “With its iUni G2, Conformis has continued to lead the industry in patient-specific approaches to orthopedics. This product not only offers patients an array of benefits, but also provides surgeons with additional features that create a more streamlined surgical process. Conformis’ ability to listen to surgeons and provide rapid updates is a testament to the advantages of their just-in-time model.”
- Conformis website: www.conformis.com
- iUni: http://bit.ly/6HbrFW
- OR Live: www.orlive.com/conformis/personalized-knee
About Conformis, Inc.
Conformis, Inc. is a privately-held company that develops and commercializes medical devices for osteoarthritis treatment and joint damage. Its proprietary intellectual property includes more than 250 patents and patent applications in the areas of imaging software, image processing, implant design, surgical techniques, instrumentation, and manufacturing. Conformis knee implants and instrumentation are designed to address all stages of osteoarthritis, the most common reason for knee replacement surgery. All devices have been cleared by the US Food and Drug Administration for marketing in the US. In 2009, Conformis was named a winner of the Medical Design Excellence Awards, the premier recognition for contributions and advances in the design of medical products, for its iUni and iDuo resurfacing implants.
New Implant Technology, A New Twist On Knee Replacement
The Cape Cod Chronicle: ConforMIS, is breaking new ground in the field of knee replacements by offering something never seen before: customized knee implants designed and manufactured for each individual patient, with no two quite alike.
Four-Year Data from the UK National Joint Registry Highlights High Survivorship in Patients Treated with the Conformis iTotal CR
Data Shows a Low Cumulative Percent Revision of 0.5% for Conformis Patients vs 1.9% for all Total Knee Replacement Patients
Conformis does something that we believe no other knee implant manufacturer has done. We combine advanced 3D imaging technology with the latest in manufacturing capabilities to put the patient at the center of implant design.Contact Us